The end of the year is quickly approaching and this is the time many people realize they have to start getting ready to close their books. With the holiday closures in December, we have even less work days this month and time is quickly running out. For many bookkeepers and accountants in a time crunch, you don’t have time data entering statements into QuickBooks. You might be thinking about hiring a temporary/ seasonal data entry clerk to save you some time. Temporary/ seasonal workers can sound convenient at desperate times, but according to e-junkie, there are some drawbacks to keep in mind as well.
- Labor Laws – Labor laws still apply to your temporary workers. Your workers are protected by the Fair Labor Standards Act as well as other laws to protect them from an unsafe workplace.
- Taxes – Your temporary workers are still subject to the same tax laws that a permanent employee is subject to.
- Social Security/Medicare – Just as with income taxes, you must withhold wages for Social Security and Medicare and match the amount.
- Workers’ Compensation – If an employee is injured on the job, even if they are only a temporary worker, you still need to provide this benefit.
- Unemployment – Some states do not require unemployment benefits for seasonal workers working 10 weeks or less, but beyond that you are not exempt from paying this. You can check with the Department of Labor for more data for your state.
Before you invest in recruiting, consider looking into automation technology. Instead of hiring a temporary/ seasonal data entry clerk, technology such as ScanWriter may be sufficient and more convenient for your needs.
Unlike a temporary/ seasonal data entry clerk, ScanWriter can:
- Quickly and efficiently read your financial documents, usually 5-10 seconds per page
- Reduce hourly labor costs by 90%
- Scan unlimited documents at your discretion at any time of day or night
- Ensure security and privacy since you own the software and don’t have to worry about documents leaving your computer
- Minimize data entry errors, while average likelihood of a human creating an error is 21%
- Sustain data integrity and lets you review and check entries before QuickBooks import to verify the validity
- Eliminate duplicate check entries by running a check match
For more information on how you can free up your manual data entry time, request a free ScanWriter demo today!